- - - -
INDUSTRIES - - -
Brothers - (F. A. & F. B. Ott)
Oldest Firm in Shelby (1897)
Bros. - Corner of Church and Main Streets.
and Leather Store.
firm was formed by F. A. and F. B. Ott, who were engaged in business
since 1857, lay claim to being the oldest firm in the city under
one firm name. From 1857 to 1892 they conducted a tannery on
North Gamble Street. In 1882 they connected a harness business
with the tannery. F. B. Ott acting as manager of the store on
account of failing health incapacitating him for work in the
tannery. In 1892F. B. Ott died and by special request before
his demise his interests were looked after from that time by
W. S. Ott his son, the firm still doing business under the name
of Ott Bros.
of Church and Main Streets
1, 1897, by mutual consent of the interested parties the firm
disolved, selling their interests to W. S. Ott, who will continue
the business in the future. His place is headquarters for all
kinds of turf goods, fur and cattle robes, blankets of many patterns
and qualities. The best of new harness always on hand and repair
work a specialty.
Republican Industrial Edition - 1897
- F. A. Ott ( Frederick
Andrew "Fritz") and F. B. (Frederick John B. ) Ott
were probably the two oldest sons of Johann Georg Siegfried and
Magdelena Bauer Ott, both from Baden, Germany. F.A. & F.
B. came to this country from Germany and settled in the Shelby
area in 1855. They had at least one other younger brother Gottfried
Frederick who immigrated about 10 years later and settled in
the Cleveland, Ohio area. The two oldest brothers established
a tannery along the east side of North Gamble Street just south
of West Smiley Avenue. Their younger brother Gottfried became
a farmer and then a professional gardener in East Cleveland,
- Not long after
establishing their successful tannery business F. B. Ott married
Louise Mueller c. 1857 and started their family with the birth
of G. F. Siegfried Ott in 1858 and Andreas Franklin Ott in 1860.
Both of these children died at a very young age. F. A. married
Isabelle Jane "Jennie" Marvin (a daughter of Stephen
and Sarah Burr Sherwood Marvin) in March of 1864. A few months
later, younger brother F. B. began service in the Civil War,
as a private in Co. F, 163rd Regiment, OVI. He was discharged
in September of 1864 and returned to his family in Shelby.*
- The two brothers
and their families lived on North Gamble just across from the
tannery. Their brick homes were under construction at the time
of the Civil War. They are located on the North west and South
west corners of the intersection of North Gamble Street and West
- F. B. died in
1892 in Shelby and is buried in the Oakland Cemetery.** F. B.
's son William Siegfried Ott is the "W. S. " referred
to in the Republican article above. Louisa Mueller Ott died in
1929 in Shelby and is buried in Oakland cemetery.
- F. A. "Fritz"
Ott and Jennie raised a family of five children, three of which
died prior to their parents. Fritz passed away in 1913 and Jennie
in 1922. They and all of their children with the exception of
the oldest, Stephen Siegfried Ott, are buried in Oakland cemetery
- * Information obtained in the publication "Deceased Veterans, Shelby,
Ohio - Richland County & Vicinity".
- ** Information obtained
in the publication " Shelby Oakland Cemetery and Most Pure
Heart of Mary Catholic Cemetery Records".
- If you would be
interested in adding to, or commenting on the items on this page,
- please contact
© 2000, 2018