- - - -
INDUSTRIES - - -
SHELBY CANDY &
Foreground: Will and Kerr Coal Office - Corner
of West Main and Walnut St. - Background: The Shelby Candy and
Daily Globe, Shelby, Ohio November 24, 1914
in 1905 With Capital Stock of $50,000 - Concern Employs
- five Skilled Hands and Manufactures Eighty- six Different Varieties
central location of Shelby geographically makes it an important
point for the location of many large manufacturing industries.
Some very large concerns are located here on this account. One
of them that has been a potent factor in the building up and
adding to the wealth of our city is the Shelby Candy company.
wholesale manufacturers of as fine a line of candy that is produced
in the United States. This industry was established in 1898 by
W. B. Estabrook, in a small way, and later came into the hands
of the present company. In the year 1905 it was incorporated
under the laws of the State of Ohio with a capital of $50,000,
as the Shelby Candy and Manufacturing Company.
building occupied by the company is a four story and basement,
brick building located along the Big Four railroad tracks, on
West Main street. The factory is connected by switch and it affords
excellent shipping facilities. The plant of the Shelby Candy
and Manufacturing company is one of the best managed concerns
in the city. The concern is one of the biggest in North Central
Ohio. On the first floor of the building the general office of
the concern and the shipping department are located. The offices
are located on the west side of the first floor and each department
is so arranged that it is very convenient to the employees. The
second and third stories of the concern are used for manufacturing
purposes. Last July the company installed a new refrigerator
system. Located in the basement of the building, there is an
electric motor pump distributing ammonia through pipes to the
cooling room on the second floor. An automatic system complete
from beginning to end, the only one of its kind in this section
of the country, keeping the temperature between 64 and 67 degrees,
in the hottest of summer days. It is worked without the attention
of an engineer. When the temperature goes above the required
figure in the summer, a thermostat releases the motor, which
in turn starts the ammonia downward in a few minutes.
cooling room where the wrapping is done was constructed along
with the remainder of the refrigeration plant. The company has
installed dripping pans under the tubes near the roof where perpetual
frost whitens the iron piping. The walls are double and no sound
can be heard from the outside. Although the company putting in
the plant stated that special ventilation was unnecessary, under
present conditions the air can be changed as often as necessary.
company has installed a $3,000 machine for dipping chocolates,
which will do the work of thirty girls and at the same time,
make it unnecessary to touch the candy by hand, from the time
they come from the mould and enter the machine until they are
unwrapped by the purchaser at the retail store.
the plant was moved from its former location on West Main street
to its new home, the building was remodeled inside and made as
near fireproof as it was possible to make it. All the electrical
wiring is enclosed in conduits, while automatic hatchways at
the elevator and doors between every floor and room are arranged
to close as soon as the temperature rises to a dangerous point.
Fusable links hold up the hatches and keep open the doors, so
on the approach of fire the links melt and the doors fly shut
and the seat of danger is kept isolated until the arrival of
means of fighting the flames.
company has furnished the girl employees with uniforms and caps
at their own expense, so that no money or expense has been spared
to make this an ideal candy factory. It is plainly shown that
the company takes a special interest in their employees, and
the best working facilities are afforded.
- Shelby Daily Globe - 1914
Shelby Candy and Manufacturing company at the present time employs
sixty-five skilled hands, and manufactures eighty-six varieties
of chocolates. Their registered trade mark is 'Little Boy Blue',
which denotes purity. Their trade is mostly drawn from Ohio,
Pennsylvania, Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, Georgia,
Alabama, Indiana, Illinois, Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, Iowa,
Wisconsin, Michigan, New York, New Jersey, and Delaware. The
company also has in its employ six traveling salesmen covering
their large territory.
- Courtesy of the Shelby Museum
present output of the company is three tons of chocolates per
day, and their yearly sales aggregate from $75,000 to $100,000.
- Shelby Daily Globe - 1914
company is officered as follows:
W. Coble, President.
S. Gump, Vice-President and Manager
C. Taylor, Secretary
C. Gump, Treasurer
the officers are prominent business men of Shelby and closely
identified with the advancement of our city. Through the efficient
management of H. S. Gump, the business has been built up to its
splendid and prosperous condition. This is one of the concerns
which is not only a source of pride to the citizens and the company,
but it is a great factor in the upbuilding of Shelby."
- If you would be
interested in adding to, or commenting on the items on this page,
- please contact
© 2000 - 2018