- - - -
MERCHANTS - - -
RAUCH, & TRIMBLE
- Courtesy of The Daily Globe -
- In early 1906,
John Marion Trimble joined the previously established
- partnership of
George Washington Armstrong and Henry Philip Rauch
- to form the Armstrong,
Rauch, and Trimble Hardware Company.
- Below is a photo
of their store at 68 West Main Street, the
- western part of
the Cockley and Dick Block, which in turn is just
- West of the Mickey
Building at the South - West corner of
- Main and Gamble
- Photo courtesy of John & Doris
- Store Front 68 West Main St. - ca. 1904-1906
- The above store
front photo was probably taken just prior to, or at the time
- Armstrong &
Rauch became Armstrong, Rauch and Trimble. (It is also possible
- that it was taken
during the period of 1910 - 1914 between the deaths of John
- Trimble and Henry
- The owners of this
new business came from a variety of backgrounds and experiences.
- George W. Armstrong
was born in Bloominggrove Township, Richland
- County, November
5, 1864. His parents were Samuel M. Armstrong
- and Sarah Jane
W. was probably the oldest son in a family
- of eight children.
In 1889 he moved from the family farm to Shelby to
- join the grain
business of W. H. Morris. After several years he formed
- a partnership in
the coal business with I. E. Will that was known as
- Armstrong and Will.
In 1894, he entered the hardware business
- as a partner with
John Hughes (Armstrong & Hughes). During this
- same year, George
married Theressa "Ressa" Graham, a daughter of
- Perry and Harriet
Graham. In 1901 John Hughes was replaced in
- the partnership
by H. G. Morton and it became Armstrong
- Two years later,
Armstrong & Morton went out of business and
- George Armstrong
and Henry Rauch formed Armstrong and
- Rauch Hardware at the 68
West Main Street location.
- Henry Rauch was
born April 25, 1875 in Mansfield, Ohio to
- George and Minnie
Rauch. He was one of at least seven children.
- Henry went to work
in the hardware business at S. E. Bird
- in Mansfield before
coming to Shelby to work for two years
- for Armstrong &
Hughes. He spent seven years selling American
- Stove Company products
for Blymyer Bros. in Mansfield before coming
- back to Shelby
to go in partnership with George Armstrong in 1904.
- Henry was married
to Mettie A. Weichold shortly after becoming
- a partner in the
- John Marion Trimble
was born on a farm between Crestline and
- Ontario on March
29, 1855. He was one of at least nine children of
- James Sterrett
and Lucinda Ann Murphy Trimble. John married Emma M.
- Brown on February
22, 1885. After leaving the farm, his first venture into
- business was in
Crestline, Ohio where he entered the hardware trade
- in the partnership
of Brown & Trimble. He sold out his interest in
- this business in
1897 and moved his family to Shelby where he started
- a grocery. He continued
in this endeavor until in November of 1905,
- he sold his grocery
business to the partnership of Bushey & Bushey.
- He then, in early
1906, became the third partner of Armstrong,
- Rauch, & Trimble.
- The location of
the hardware store is in the earliest established portion
- of Shelby, being
a part of James Gamble's first plat of Shelby. The store
was lot #3 on that original plat. According to an early article
the Daily Globe (1),
a hardware store at this same location
50 years prior to 1906. The article further states, "The
firm is located
the stand formerly occupied by J. A. Seltzer & Sons. Nearly
this section knows J. A. Seltzer, who with H. W. Steele and
with the two sons of Mr. Seltzer, made the store one of the best
throughout this section."
article continues, " Their line has been greatly increased
and the class
merchandise carried by them will be found of the very highest
and heavy hardware they have everything that can be desired while
oils and glass they are exceptionally strong. They carry an enormous
of the John W. Masury house paints which have a reputation for
that is world - wide."
farm implements they carry everything. They have the exclusive
the John Deere line, one of the most celebrated in the country,
carry Osborne and McCormick farm machinery, for which they are
- Courtesy of The Daily Globe -
Bros. furnaces and the Wise furnace is sold by them, two makes
recognized as the best of their kind. Their
stove line is very large
- representing such
makes as the Quick Meal and the Detroit Jewel."
- "In buggies,
wagons, and harness they always carry a very extensive line
- of the best makes,
and their trade in these items is very large."
- Photo courtesy of John & Doris
- Store Interior - 68 West Main
St. - ca. 1906-1909
- The above picture
was probably taken after the addition of John Trimble
- to the business
since those pictured (compare with the pictures at the top of
- this page) appear
to be: George Armstrong - man behind counter on right,
- Henry Rauch - man
on left wearing straw hat, John Trimble - man with bow
- tie leaning on
counter. The woman may be Henry's new wife Mettie. Notice
- the wide assortment
of items. With that in mind, the following portion of
- the Globe article
- "In roofing,
tinware, enameled ware, linoleums and hundreds of various
- articles going
to make a first class place, they recognize no superiors. "
- "They have
a fine tinshop in connection with their store and every
- attention is given
the trade which can in any manner add to the
- convenience of
the public and the enlargement of their business."
- The 1904 Sanborn
fire maps show that there were several buildings
- located on the
lot behind the hardware store (between the Mickey and
- Cockley & Dick
buildings and the M. E. Church lots) that housed the
- tin and sheet shops.
There were also several smaller buildings that were
- evidently warehouses
for the many inventoried items that could not be
- housed in the main
- The Globe article
continues: "John Seltzer, who has been identified with
- the store for many
years, will still continue in the employ of the new
- company. He is
a gentleman whom it is a pleasure to meet and to know,
- his knowledge of
the business, his wide acquaintance among the farmers,
- and his genial
nature, make him a very valuable man to the house."
- "All of the
partners in this concern are experienced hardware men, well
- known among the
people with whom they expect to do business and
- the GLOBE confidently
predicts for them a large share of the trade in
- this section. Mr.
Rauch's acquaintance with the wholesale trade will
- enable the firm
to always buy right and the wide knowledge of the people
- and their needs
by Mr. Trimble and Armstrong will make a combination
- for business that
will be hard to beat in either prices or quality of goods."
- "This stand
has always enjoyed a splendid patronage. It has drawn trade
- from miles in every
direction and under the new order of things will
- maintain the past
reputation of the house."
location of 68 West Main Street continued to be a hardware store
about another 70 years. It has had many owners in that time period.
Trimble died in February of 1909 and the business reverted to
& Rauch. By 1915, George W. Armstrong was the sole owner
the business and it became known as G. W. Armstrong Hardware.
Armstrong may have been associated with the business at this
longer than any other owner since he held ownership until
store was acquired by C. A. Black in 1934/35. George was involved
the hardware business for over 40 years and in the 68 West Main
for at least 30 of those years.
H. Shaw ran the business in 1945 but it was known for a period
the mid to late 1940s as Barnes & Black. By 1948 it became
and was so until in the early 60s when it became Adam
The store remained Adam Hardware for about 10 years
it then finally was closed as a hardware business and True Value
was started at 72 West Main Street.
owning the grocery, the Trimbles lived at 95 West Main Street.
most of the period of the hardware partnership, they lived at
Raymond and 54 South Gamble Street. After John's passing,
the time of the 1910 census, Emma lived with her father George,
44 South Gamble Street. That census indicates that Emma may
had one child that was livng at that time, however there is
indication of that in the 1900 census. After her father's death
Emma moved to Mansfield to live with Carrie Cox, a sister
was also widowed. Emma continued to live in the area until
passing in 1942. John Marion and his wife Emma M. Brown
Trimble are buried at the Oakland Cemetery in Shelby.
and Theressa Armstrong made their home at 44 Marvin
where they raised their family of five children. George
Armstrong lived in Shelby until his death in 1957.
Graham Armstrong passed away in 1949 and they are
buried at Oakland Cemetery.
P. Rauch and his wife Mettie probably had no children. In
they were living at 30 North Gamble Street. By 1920 Mettie
still living at 30 North Gamble Street as a widow with roomers.
strong possibility is that Henry passed away around 1915 when
business became G. W. Armstrong Hardware. More research is
to determine what happened to Mettie A. Weichold
- (1) Some information in
the above was derived from an article in
- The Daily Globe
April 2, 1906.
- If you are interested
in adding to, or commenting on the items on
- this page, please
© 2000 - 2018